MISSISSIPPI (WDAM) - Recipe: Pumpkin, black bean and turkey chili
Author: Lisa at Cooking Bride
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ½ cups cooked turkey meat, shredded, or 2 cups cooked ground turkey meat
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) hot tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- ½ cup dry sherry
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Top with shredded cheddar if desired.