‘They lost everything,’ Sumrall fire destroys home Thursday night

Sumrall home ruined in Thursday night fire
Published: Nov. 18, 2022 at 10:40 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SUMRALL, Miss. (WDAM) - A housefire destroyed a Sumrall family’s home on Thursday night, but, thankfully, no one was hurt.

The Sumrall Volunteer Fire Department reported that the fire occurred at 15 Ravenwood Lane on Thursday as the family was getting ready to end its evening.

Chief Virginia Hayes said preliminary investigations indicated the source of the fire was a propane water heater.

“The homeowner was taking a shower and heard a ‘boom,’” said Hayes. “By the time he could get out and get some clothes on, there was a big fireball burning in the area of the water heater ... I figure the pilot light was out, and with him taking a shower, it was trying to kick on, and the gas just spread ‘til it found an ignition source.”

The Sumrall Volunteer Fire Department reported that the fire occurred at 15 Ravenwood Lane on Thursday.

The homeowner, Chuck Lee, his wife, Callie Lee, and their two daughters were all able to safely exit the home.

Unfortunately, Hayes said the house was a total loss.

“They lost everything!” said Hayes. “The house, a side-by-side, a zero-turn lawnmower and a vehicle. They did manage to save one vehicle and a utility trailer.”

In a Facebook post on Friday, Callie shared her appreciation for everyone who had reached out to her and the family.

“Where do we even start…” she wrote. “We are overwhelmed with all the love, support and calls. We are trying to process and take it moment by moment; please be patient with us. If you have called or messaged, we are trying to get back to everyone, but (friday) is a lot of insurance calls, and we only have one phone at the time. We are blessed we made it out alive. I will be in touch. I appreciate everyone’s heart for us.”

Friends and family of the Lees have started a GoFundMe campaign to help the family rebuild from the ashes.

Want more WDAM 7 news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.