From Southeastern Conference Staff
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WDAM) - Both the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University will have unexpected open dates on Dec. 5.
The Southeastern Conference announced Friday a revised schedule for next Saturday.
Two of the six games on the new schedule were earlier contests that had been postponed because of coronavirus issues.
The revision bumped three games to a yet-be-determined date deeper in December, including:
- University of Missouri at Mississippi State
- Ole Miss at Louisiana State University
- University of Alabama at University of Arkansas.
The SEC release said “the rescheduling of games allows for the continued opportunity for all 14 SEC teams to play (10) games in the 2020 season.”
The release said the revised schedule was “contingent on the absence of additional postponements prior to” Dec. 5.
The revised Dec. 5 schedule now will sport six games, including:
- Alabama @ LSU (rescheduled from Nov. 14)
- Arkansas @ Missouri (rescheduled from Nov. 28)
- University of Florida @ University of Tennessee
- University of South Carolina @ University of Kentucky
- Texas A&M University @ Auburn University
- Vanderbilt University @ University of Georgia.
Ole Miss and Mississippi State will be the only two SEC football teams not in action that weekend.
“The cooperation and flexibility of our coaches, athletics directors and campus leaders along with the dedication of our student-athletes now provides the opportunity to reach this point in the season with the ability for each SEC team to play ten football games in 2020,” SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said in the release.
“We knew before the season there would be interruptions and scheduling challenges related to COVID-19 and we will continue to manage the remaining weeks of the football schedule to allow for as many games to be played as possible, with a continuing focus on determining an SEC champion.”
The SEC’s COVID-19 management requirements, as developed by the SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force, are available on SECsports.com.