Southern Miss releases revised football schedule
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (WDAM) - The University of Southern Mississippi released a revised football schedule Thursday with two new home games to replace matchups that were canceled in July.
The 2020 Southern Miss football opener against the University of South Alabama has also been moved up two days to Thursday, Sept. 3, at 7 p.m.
Tennessee Tech University is now scheduled to travel to Hattiesburg on Sept. 19 to replace a home game against Jackson State University and Tulane University will visit M.M. Roberts Stadium on Sept. 26 to replace an away game against Auburn University.
Both of the rescheduled games will kick off at 6 p.m.
The Jackson State game was canceled after the Southwestern Athletic Conference suspended all fall sports due to COVID-19. Southern Miss lost the Auburn contest after the Southeastern Conference announced a conference-only schedule last week.
“We are excited to be able to add these games to our schedule and get to seven home games for student-athletes and season ticket holders,” said USM athletic director Jeremy McClain. “This is obviously a very fluid situation, and we will continue to make adjustments that allow us the best opportunity to safely conduct a football season.”
The changes mean the Golden Eagles are scheduled to host seven home games for only the second time in school history, with the last time occurring in 1920.
You can view the full schedule below:
- Sept. 3 vs. South Alabama at 7 p.m. (Hattiesburg)
- Sept. 12 vs. Louisiana Tech, TBD (Hattiesburg)
- Sept. 19 vs. Tennessee Tech at 6 p.m. (Hattiesburg)
- Sept. 26 vs. Tulane at 6 p.m. (Hattiesburg)
- Oct. 3 at North Texas, TBD (Denton, Texas)
- Oct. 10 vs Florida Atlantic University, TBD (Hattiesburg)
- Oct. 17 at UTEP, TBD (El Paso, Texas)
- Oct. 24 at Liberty University at 5 p.m. (Lynchburg, Va.)
- Oct. 31 vs. Rice, TBD (Hattiesburg)
- Nov. 14 at Western Kentucky, TBD (Bowling Green, Ky.)
- Nov. 21 vs. UTSA, TBD (Hattiesburg)
- Nov. 28 at UAB, TBD (Birmingham, Ala.)
Southern Miss will release details on ticketing and stadium protocols for home games soon.
Copyright 2020 WDAM. All rights reserved.