LAUREL, MS (WDAM) - Playoff baseball begins on Friday as 26 Pine Belt teams begin their journey to the state championships.
Northeast Jones makes its fifth straight postseason appearance on Friday when it host Raymond at 7 p.m.
Though he fields a young team, coach Jeremy Parker believes this year’s group is experienced and ready to make a deep run in the playoffs.
“There's times that we look our age and make some mistakes,” Parker said. “We're to the point now where we've reached the playoffs and it's time for them to grow up and start eliminating those things and us get better as the playoffs go on."
"We're really excited for the playoffs,” said Northeast Jones senior catcher Tyler Harper. “We're going to have to show up every day at practice and work our butts off here and go out there and compete. As the season goes on longer, you get tired. You get mentally tired, physically tired – so we're going to have to be mentally tough."
Here’s a look at Friday’s complete schedule of opening round playoff games:
- East Marion at Stringer (6 p.m.)
- Mount Olive at Lumberton (4 p.m.)
- Sacred Heart at Sebastopol (6 p.m.)
- West Lincoln at Perry Central (6 p.m.)
- Collins at Loyd Star (6 p.m.)
- Bay Springs at Mize (6:30 p.m.)
- Richton at Enterprise (7 p.m.)
- Puckett at Taylorsville (Monday)
- Jefferson County at West Marion (12 p.m.)
- Raleigh at Choctaw Central (4:30 p.m.)
- Columbia vs. Hazlehurst
- Seminary at Port Gibson (1 p.m.)
- Purvis at St. Stanislaus (3 p.m.)
- Raymond at Northeast Jones (7 p.m.)
- Pass Christian at Sumrall (7 p.m.)
- Greene County at East Central (6 p.m.)
- Vancleave at Poplarville (7 p.m.)
- Wayne County at Pearl River Central (7 p.m.)
- North Pike at South Jones (12 p.m.)
- Bye: West Jones
- Petal at D’Iberville (7 p.m.)
- Bye: Oak Grove