MISSISSIPPI (WDAM) - The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency has released its initial statewide damage reports following Thursday’s outbreak of severe weather. According to MEMA, 35 counties received damage during the storms.
The National Weather Service in Jackson confirmed two tornadoes in Hinds County, but that number could change as survey teams continue to investigate damage reports across the state. MEMA also confirmed one storm-related fatality.
In the Pine Belt, the worst damage was reported in Perry County, where multiple homes and businesses were affected. Tree damage was reported in Forrest and Lamar counties, and power outages were reported in Wayne County.
MEMA listed the following initial damage reports by county and said assessments are ongoing:
- Adams: Power outages reported
- Amite: One storm-related fatality
- Chickasaw: Homes damaged
- Claiborne: Power outages reported
- Clay: Multiple roads flooded, couple of trees down
- Clarke: Trees down; power outages reported
- Copiah: Multiple power outages reported
- Forrest: Trees down
- Franklin: Power outages reported, homes damaged, several roads flooded
- Harrison: Trees down, power outages reported
- Hinds: Towns of Raymond, Utica, Learned and Clinton have significant damage.
- NWS Jackson confirmed an EF-1 in Clinton and an EF-2 in Oakley.
- Jefferson: Widespread power outages reported, trees down, multiple homes and businesses damaged.
- Kemper: Unknown number of homes damaged
- Lamar: Trees down
- Lauderdale: Power outages reported, trees down.
- Lawrence: Power outages reported
- Leake: Damage reported in towns of Lena, Edinburg, Renfroe and Walnut Grove
- Lincoln: One storm-related fatality
- Lowndes: Trees down, power outages reported
- Madison: Multiple homes and business damaged
- Neshoba: One storm-related death, multiple homes damaged, power outages reported.
- Noxubee: Multiple homes damaged, power outages reported
- Oktibbeha: Several roads flooded, multiple homes damaged, trees down.
- Pike: Power outages reported
- Perry: Multiple homes and businesses damaged
- Rankin: Power outages and downed trees reported
- Scott: City of Morton reporting widespread damage; homes damaged throughout the county. NWS Jackson survey team assessing tornado damage
- Simpson: Multiple homes and businesses damaged
- Smith: Widespread damage in the Polkville area
- Walthall: Power outages reported
- Warren: Multiple homes damaged, power outages reported, trees down
- Wayne: Power Outages reported
- Webster: Homes damaged
- Wilkinson: Power outages reported
- Winston: Power outages reported, multiple homes damaged
The public is encouraged to report any damage to MEMA.