Ellisville family loses puppy in house fire

Ellisville family loses puppy in house fire
No injuries were reported, but the homeowner’s Dachshund puppy was inside the home and was unable to be rescued. (Source: Jones County Fire Council)

ELLISVILLE, MS (WDAM) - An electrical failure could be what sparked an attic fire early Monday morning on Pecan Grove Road in Jones County. The owner lost both the home and a puppy to the flames.

Dana Bumgardner, with the Jones County Fire Council, said about 5:15 a.m. the homeowner woke up to make coffee and noticed smoke in the house but didn’t notice any flames.

“She didn’t see fire, but it’s a good thing she called,” said Bumgardner.

Bumgardner said officials believe the fire started in the attic, and a damaged water heater may be what is to blame for the blaze.

No injuries were reported, but the homeowner’s Dachshund puppy was inside the home and was unable to be rescued.

Union, Ovett, Glade, M & M, and Powers volunteer fire departments responded to the fire. EMserv Ambulance Service and Jones County Sheriff's Department were also on scene.

The Jones County Fire Council reminds everyone to have a qualified professional investigate and repair any suspected electrical problems at their homes and businesses.

Copyright 2019 WDAM. All rights reserved.