HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The University of Southern Mississippi held its Career and Internship Expo on Tuesday at the Thad Cochran center from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Students had the opportunity to meet with alumni, share information and visit with potential employees all at once. If you are a student seeking a career in the arts, business, education, or science, Southern Miss said that the career and internship expo is a tool for success.
Students were encouraged to not only attend the expo but to set up on-campus interviews with potential employers on campus. On-campus interviews were made available to all students on campus through their Handshake account in order to build a schedule for employers.
According to Southern Miss, the Career Expo provides students the opportunity to see who is hiring and what they are looking for in candidates. Southern Miss said the goal for all students is to gather valuable information to help plan the next steps of your education while also building skills that will help with future opportunities.
Advice for students ranked by year, According to Southern Miss:
- Get comfortable with speaking to employers.
- Discover the careers where different majors can lead.
- Observe body language and demeanor of those with confidence and professional style.
- Give presenting your professional side a try
- Seek out focused information, such as job-shadowing and internships.
- Practice interview and networking skills.
- Discover which opportunities are most interesting to you.
- Make connections with employers.
- Discover which entry-level positions can help you toward future goals.
- Land an interview or job offer.
For a full list of the Career Expo schedule look below:
- 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – Employer arrival, sign-in, and set-up.
- 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Employer Lunch (please be sure to have your booth manned by 1 p.m.)
- 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Event open to students
- 5:00 p.m. – Event closes (please stay for entire event to allow all students access to your valuable information.)