HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) _ Another dozen streets in Hattiesburg have been scheduled for a facelift this spring.
The extra projects were expected to cost just more than $1 million and were added to 2019’s paving list after more money was allocated to the city’s paving budget. Streets were chosen in each of the city’s five wards.
“These additional projects are happening because of the City Council's willingness to increase the city's paving budget to $2.5 million during this fiscal year,” Hattiesburg Mayor Toby Barker said. “Fostering progress across all five wards continues to be a priority for our administration, along with being transparent about which streets will be paved.”
The latest list, the fourth released during Barker’s administration, was created based on:
- Requests by City Council members
- Feedback from neighborhood associations
- Requests made to the mayor’s office
- Site visits to neighborhoods by Barker and staff
“We take calls, emails and social media comments daily about potholes and street quality concerns,” Barker said. “I want our residents to know we hear them.
“Paving will continue to be a priority as we move forward.”
All project schedules are subject to weather constraints.
The list of streets to be paved in the spring includes:
- Golf Course Road
- Pearl Street (already completed)
- Ross Boulevard (already completed)
- Atlanta Street
- West Fifth Street (200 block)
- Midway Avenue
- Mohawk Street
- McLelland Street
- East Pine Street
- Shadow Ridge
- Oak Grove Road (between Weathersby and Lincoln roads); project funded by Lamar County Board of Supervisors
- South 17th Avenue
- Concart Street
- McInnis Street
- Brady Road
- Elnora Knight Road
- Registar Street
For a full list of all streets paved since July 2017, visit http://www.hattiesburgms.com/infrastructure/paving/