PINE BELT (WDAM) - As the freezing temperatures creep into the Pine Belt, we hope that you and your family stays warm while being safe.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, 890 people die in winter home fires each year. Dana Bumgardner of the Jones County Fire Council said that space heaters are the main cause for most fires.
“You want to make sure that those are plugged directly into the wall,” said Bumgardner.
“We had a situation already within the last month or so where a person kind of made or altered a hot plate to make a heater and used that for heating and actually ended up causing a fire and destroying their home," Bumgardner said.
Chief Mike Hodge with the Sharon Volunteer Fire department said there are multiple ways you can start a spark of flame.
He said that liquids or things such as hairspray also have the possibility of starting a fire.
Bumgardner also mentioned that when plugging things up at home, such as space heaters, you don’t want to use an extension cord because you can overload it.
For more details and information on tips to keep winter fire safety materials close by, visit FEMA’s website.