10-year-old killed in accidental shooting - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Jackson

10-year-old killed in accidental shooting

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - The shooting death of a 10-year-old

Jackson boy has been ruled accidental by a county coroner.

Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart says a preliminary

examination of the boy's body shows the wound is consistent with an

accidental shooting. She said the bullet hit the boy in the arm and

struck an artery.

Jackson police say the boy's family members told investigators

that he may have been playing with a gun they kept in the house for

protection when the shooting occurred Friday night.

Police have not filed any charges in the case.

---

Information from: The Clarion-Ledger,

http://www.clarionledger.com

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Dozier presented to key to the City of Hattiesburg

    Dozier presented to key to the City of Hattiesburg

  • Fire safety tips for Christmas season

    Fire safety tips for Christmas season

  • Fire safety tips for Christmas season

    Fire safety tips for Christmas season

    Thursday, December 14 2017 7:38 PM EST2017-12-15 00:38:32 GMT
    Photo credit: WDAMPhoto credit: WDAM

    Winter months are some of the busiest for firefighters, and not just because of the cold temperatures. “This time of the year, December, January and February, statistically nationwide we have more structure fires than any other point in the year,” said Hattiesburg Fire Marshal Stephen Mooney. In the recent weeks, Hattiesburg firefighters responded to five house fires, with the latest one on Monday, being caused by an extension cord. “Extension cords are a hug...

    More >>

    Winter months are some of the busiest for firefighters, and not just because of the cold temperatures. “This time of the year, December, January and February, statistically nationwide we have more structure fires than any other point in the year,” said Hattiesburg Fire Marshal Stephen Mooney. In the recent weeks, Hattiesburg firefighters responded to five house fires, with the latest one on Monday, being caused by an extension cord. “Extension cords are a hug...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly