Government wants disabled accessibility - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Government wants disabled accessibility

The city of Corinth is being required by the Federal Highway Administration to rework more than 60 accessibility curb ramps in downtown areas to accommodate the disabled.

City officials say the work will cost more than $400,000.

Work will begin around the courthouse square, closing off one block to do all the work required before moving on to another. Officials say that will cause the least disruption to businesses and traffic.

The city expects to solicit bids this fall for work beginning next year to avoid impacting the Christmas shopping season.

The Mississippi Department of Transportation is expected to pay 80 percent of the cost, with the city responsible for the other 20 percent.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Miss Hospitality 2017 crowned in Hattiesburg

    Miss Hospitality 2017 crowned in Hattiesburg

    Sunday, July 23 2017 12:45 AM EDT2017-07-23 04:45:53 GMT
    Emma Grace McGrew of Booneville is crowned the 2017 Mississippi Miss Hospitality in Hattiesburg Saturday night. Photo credit WDAM.Emma Grace McGrew of Booneville is crowned the 2017 Mississippi Miss Hospitality in Hattiesburg Saturday night. Photo credit WDAM.

    The new Miss Hospitality has been crowned in Hattiesburg.  She is Emma Grace McGrew, 18, of Booneville. 

    More >>

    The new Miss Hospitality has been crowned in Hattiesburg.  She is Emma Grace McGrew, 18, of Booneville. 

    More >>
  • Players of the Pine Belt: Collins' Tavarian McCullum

    Players of the Pine Belt: Collins' Tavarian McCullum

  • "Community Rocking" for new year at Hattiesburg High School

    "Community Rocking" for new year at Hattiesburg High School

Powered by Frankly