Consumers urged to keep safety in mind when decking the halls

'Tis the season to beware of a dry Christmas tree meeting with faulty wiring.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is trying to cut back on holiday related mishaps and is reminding people to deck the halls with fire resistant decor, if possible.

The government agency reports that every November and December about 10,000 people are treated in emergency rooms for injuries related to holiday decorating.

The government suggests keeping trees away from fireplaces, radiators and heavy traffic areas in homes to keep holiday cheer from sparking fires. The government also advises selecting the freshest real trees, by checking for green needles that are difficult to pull from the branches. The bottom of the tree trunk should be sticky with resin.

Another thing to avoid: using lights on a metallic tree. This could pose an electrocution hazard if branches become charged with electricity.