Smoke alarm saves Jones family of 3

A family of three barely escaped an early morning fire in Jones County.

Authorities say around 4:15 am Voranica Boykin was cooking breakfast for her two kids on Vester Road when a pot on the stove caught fire.

Fire officials say within minutes the home was covered in smoke but thanks to a smoke detector, Boykin and her kids are grateful to be alive.

"They are very fortunate and once again we credit the usage of a smoke detector being installed in the home with working batteries as helping this family escape," says volunteer firefighter Lance Chancellor, "it would have not been a few more moments they would have been overcome by smoke.  The smoke in there was incredible."

Officials say the inside of the house is a total loss.