USM lands 2 among Ferris Trophy finalists - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

USM lands 2 among Ferris Trophy finalists

Southern Miss third basemen Luke Reynolds and right-handed pitcher Nick Sandlin were two of the five finalists named on Monday. (Photo source: www.csopavoting.com) Southern Miss third basemen Luke Reynolds and right-handed pitcher Nick Sandlin were two of the five finalists named on Monday. (Photo source: www.csopavoting.com)
HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) -

The University of Southern Mississippi junior third baseman Luke Reynolds and junior pitcher Nick Sandlin are among five finalists for the 2018 C-Spire Ferris Trophy.

The award, named for long-time Delta State University baseball coach David “Boo” Ferris, is given annually to Mississippi’s most outstanding college baseball player.

College coaches and Major League Baseball scouts make up about 90 percent of the voting. Fans account for the other 10 percent.

USM is the only school with two finalists and Sandlin is the lone pitcher among the candidates.

Other finalists include University of Mississippi outfielder Ryan Olenek, Mississippi State outfielder Jake Mangum and DSU first baseman Zack Shannon.

The winner will be named at a luncheon at 11:30 a.m. on May 21 at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in Jackson.

“This year may be the toughest choice in this history of the event,” Hall of Fame executive director Bill Blackwell said in a statement. “With so many schools ranked nationally at all levels, you know there must be great players throughout the state.”

Sandlin (7-0), who is in first season as a starting pitcher for 18th-ranked USM after serving as the Golden Eagles’ closer his first two years, boasts the third-best earned run average in the nation (1.15) among Division I pitchers. The right-hander has struck out 114 and walked just 14 in 78 1/3 innings.

Reynolds leads Conference USA in batting average (.384), home runs (13) and runs batted in (53).

Olenek tops the Southeastern Conference with a .396 batting average for the 5th-ranked Rebels. That’s the 19th-best batting average in the nation among Division I hitters.

Mangum leads the Bulldogs with a .342 batting average. He has 19 doubles and 14 stolen bases.

Shannon leads Division II with 29 home runs and leads the Statesmen with a .425 batting average and 86 RBIs.

Fans can cast votes at csopavoting.com through noon Saturday.

Copyright WDAM 2018. All rights reserved. 

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Conviction upheld in 2014 Hattiesburg murder

    Conviction upheld in 2014 Hattiesburg murder

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 9:11 AM EDT2018-07-18 13:11:01 GMT
    V'Nell Miskell (Photo source: Mississippi Department of Corrections)V'Nell Miskell (Photo source: Mississippi Department of Corrections)

    The Mississippi Court of Appeals upheld the murder conviction and sentence of a man found guilty in the 2014 shooting death of a Hattiesburg man. 

    More >>

    The Mississippi Court of Appeals upheld the murder conviction and sentence of a man found guilty in the 2014 shooting death of a Hattiesburg man. 

    More >>
  • Council approves pay increase for HPD dispatchers

    Council approves pay increase for HPD dispatchers

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:00 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:00:59 GMT
    The Hattiesburg City Council voted to give dispatchers in Hattiesburg Police Department a pay increase. WDAM looked at the numbers and where the money is coming from. (Photo source: WDAM)The Hattiesburg City Council voted to give dispatchers in Hattiesburg Police Department a pay increase. WDAM looked at the numbers and where the money is coming from. (Photo source: WDAM)

    WDAM cameras inside council chambers Tuesday night as the Hattiesburg City Council cast their votes. The council voted yes, to giving dispatchers within the Hattiesburg Police Department a pay increase. WDAM looked at the numbers and where the money is coming from. Councilman Carter Carroll said, "Dispatcher is a very important position and it needs to be someone with experience." Right now, the Hattiesburg Police Department has an extremely high turnover rate in that spe...

    More >>

    WDAM cameras inside council chambers Tuesday night as the Hattiesburg City Council cast their votes. The council voted yes, to giving dispatchers within the Hattiesburg Police Department a pay increase. WDAM looked at the numbers and where the money is coming from. Councilman Carter Carroll said, "Dispatcher is a very important position and it needs to be someone with experience." Right now, the Hattiesburg Police Department has an extremely high turnover rate in that spe...

    More >>
  • Players of the Pine Belt - Lumberton senior C.K. Bowens

    Players of the Pine Belt - Lumberton senior C.K. Bowens

Powered by Frankly