Forrest County family recovering after losing home in fire

Forrest County family recovering after losing home in fire
Samantha said the only thing on her mind at the time was removing her kids from the burning home. (Photo source: WDAM)
Samantha said the only thing on her mind at the time was removing her kids from the burning home. (Photo source: WDAM)

FORREST COUNTY (WDAM) - A Forrest County family is recovering after their home caught on fire  Monday night destroying, all their possessions in the process.

Resident Samantha Weber said the fire started in the kitchen while she was cooking for her 3 small children, ages 1, 2 and 3.

"I was cooking, and I had some grease on the stove," says Weber. "I'm not sure if that's what caught fire or if it was the oven cleaner that I had sprayed last night, but I turned around to pick up the baby's cereal and when I turned around back to the stove, it was just gone. It had traveled straight down the hallway."

Samantha said the only thing on her mind at the time was removing her kids from the burning home.

"My thought process was get what's alive, get out, and leave the rest," Samantha said. "I left my poor husband in the yard and took the kids down the street."

Zacharey Webber said that he has been living in the house with his wife and kids in the home for a little over a year and that the home has been in Samantha's family for about 30 years.

Zacharey said it's been tough on his kids as well.

"They've asked why we can't come home, and I have to just explain to them that the house is gone," Zacharey said. "We got to stay strong for the little ones that we have. They can't see us get upset."

He said everything in the house was ruined, and they didn't have insurance on the home.

Throughout everything, Zacharey and his wife still manage to somehow show a smile.

"It's taught me to look at more of the positive things and stop being so negative," Zacharey said. "Some people don't realize what they have until they lose it."

Samantha said the scene is all too familiar after being in another house fire when she was 16 at her family home.

"It's like rewind," said Samantha. "I've seen it already."

The couple said right now they are living with family members, but the support they've received from neighbors and friends has helped to keep their spirits high.

"There's really some good people out here," said Zacharey. "You never know how good people are until you go through something."

Zacharey said that when they're house caught on fire, him and his family were helping another family by opening his home up to them to live momentarily.

He said that family has also found somewhere to stay.

If you would like to reach out to the Webers, you can contact Zacharey Weber at zdweber1214@gmail.com.