Brother of TN double murder suspect speaks - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Brother of TN double murder suspect speaks

Casey Lawhorn is suspected of killing his mother and friend in Tennessee. (Photo Source: East Ridge Police Department ) Casey Lawhorn is suspected of killing his mother and friend in Tennessee. (Photo Source: East Ridge Police Department )
EAST RIDGE, TN (WDAM) -

The brother of Casey Lawhorn, who is suspected of killing his mother and a friend in Tennessee before killing himself in Jasper County, spoke in an interview with WRCB about losing two family members.

Body of double murder suspect found in MS

Casey James Lawhorn, 23, was found dead about 100 yards from the spot where his car was found abandoned Sunday on Interstate 59. Casey confessed to killing his mother, Vi Lawhorn, and friend, Avery Gaines, in a Facebook post Sunday.

Chad Lawhorn does not understand why his brother killed his mother and then himself.

"What he did, I think, was monstrous, but I don't think he was a monster. I think he was sick,” Chad said in the interview.

Chad said the man who committed these brutal crimes was not the little brother he adored.

“It seems like a bad dream, something alien happened here," Chad said. "I do not understand it all.”

While at his Nashville apartment Sunday, Chad received a phone notification that Casey had wired him $250 for damages.

“The first thing that came to my mind was self-harm, not any of this,” Chad said.

Chad told WRCB he repeatedly tried calling his brother and mother, but no one answered.

“I grabbed my keys, put my shoes on and got in the car and drove to Chattanooga,” Chad said.

When he showed up to his mother's home, he found detectives at a crime scene.

“I don't understand half the things that I am feeling," Chad said. "It was my brother, but he took my mother. I am angry, but I am also just heartbroken.”

Chad said Casey spent time in multiple mental health facilities over the past five years, but he was never considered a danger to the public. The gun used in the crime was stolen from a friend, according to WRCB.

“Whoever that was took my mom and my brother from me," Chad continued. "They were the closest blood that I had. Now, I do not have them.”

Copyright WDAM 2018. All rights reserved.

• Local NewsLOCALMore>>

Beer may lack fizz in Europe amid carbon dioxide shortage

Wednesday, June 20 2018 6:51 AM EDT2018-06-20 10:51:23 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:43 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:43:47 GMT
    (Nigel French/PA via AP). England supporters celebrate Harry Kane's winning goal as fans watch the World Cup soccer match between Tunisia and England at the Lord Raglan Pub in London, Monday, June 18, 2018.(Nigel French/PA via AP). England supporters celebrate Harry Kane's winning goal as fans watch the World Cup soccer match between Tunisia and England at the Lord Raglan Pub in London, Monday, June 18, 2018.
    A British trade group says there's a shortage of carbon dioxide in Northern Europe _ sparking fears that drinks may lack fizz just as thirsty soccer fans fill pubs for the World Cup.More >>

Smoking hits new low; about 14 percent of US adults light up

Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:10 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:10:52 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:04 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:04:36 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File). FILE - In this June 22, 2012, file photo, a smoker snuffs out a cigarette at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif. The rate of smoking among adults in the U.S. fell to about 14 percent in 2017, according to new data relea...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File). FILE - In this June 22, 2012, file photo, a smoker snuffs out a cigarette at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif. The rate of smoking among adults in the U.S. fell to about 14 percent in 2017, according to new data relea...
    Smoking by US adults hits another all-time low; about 14 percent smoke cigarettes.More >>

Lower costs, fewer benefits in new health insurance option

Tuesday, June 19 2018 12:10 AM EDT2018-06-19 04:10:52 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:04 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:04:35 GMT
    As originally proposed, the new "association health plans" would have to cover people with pre-existing health conditions. However, they could offer narrower benefits than required under the Obama-era health law. (Source: Raycom Media)As originally proposed, the new "association health plans" would have to cover people with pre-existing health conditions. However, they could offer narrower benefits than required under the Obama-era health law. (Source: Raycom Media)

Trump administration prepares to announce a new insurance option for small firms and self-employed people.

More >>