For some, it may be hard to believe that nine years have passed since Hurricane Katrina made landfall and left major devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi. Most people will never forget where theyMore >>
Friday marks nine years since Hurricane Katrina made landfall, causing major devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi.More >>
Saturday, August 30 2014 2:50 PM EDT2014-08-30 18:50:22 GMT
An early morning fire has claimed the life of a Pine Belt woman. Forrest County Deputy Coroner Lisa Klem confirmed the death of a female victim, however the name is not being released pending notificationMore >>
An early morning fire has claimed the life of a Pine Belt woman.More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 9:33 AM EDT2014-08-28 13:33:06 GMT
SPARTANBURG COUNT, SC (WYFF) - Fifteen children living in a double-wide trailer were put into protective custody and seven adults were arrested, according to the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office. DeputiesMore >>
Fifteen children living in a double-wide trailer were put into protective custody and seven adults were arrested, according to the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office.More >>
Friday, August 29 2014 6:43 AM EDT2014-08-29 10:43:37 GMT
(WMC) – A protest is going on at Rosa Fort High School in Tunica, Mississippi where people are upset over the firing of a principal. There are more than 100 people marching from the school to the superintendent'sMore >>
More than 100 students are protesting the dismissal of their principal by walking out of school. More >>
Friday, August 29 2014 1:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 17:48:04 GMT
The Canton Public School District says that it is working diligently to contain the spread of scabies at several of its schools. The school district says they have informed parents that their childrenMore >>
The school district says they have informed parents that their children may have recently been exposed.
Between work, school and extracurricular activities, little time is left for sit-down meals. Americans are turning to snacks for quick-meal solutions. Try these delicious suggestions that are sure to suit a range of snacking occasions.
1) Nutritious Foods in a Pocket Stuff a pita bread with any combination from the fridge. Try pasta salad tossed with shredded cheese, apple cubes and raisins topped with yogurt, or deli meat and cheese layered with veggies.
2) Glorious Leftovers Portion leftovers such as lasagna, macaroni and cheese or mashed potatoes in microwave-safe containers so kids can "heat and eat" them with a cold glass of chocolate milk.
3) Movie Madness Before pressing the play button for the next movie, create a spiced up version of traditional popcorn by adding pretzels, cheddar cheese cubes and a tablespoon of taco seasoning to the mix.
4) Nachos in a Minute Top tortilla chips with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cook in the microwave until cheese melts; serve with salsa.
5) Anyway Potato Bake a potato in the microwave. Slice open and add leftover chili stew, broccoli or salsa. Top with shredded cheese and microwave again until cheese melts.
6) Breakfast Anytime Heat frozen pancakes or French toast in the microwave for a quick snack with a glass of milk and fruit. Or add sliced fruit to a bowl of cereal and milk. It’s great — and easy - anytime of day.
7) Grab and Go Foods Keep the fridge and pantry stocked with flavored milk, fresh fruit, string cheese, bagels and large pretzels.
8) Shake Up Some Nutrition Kids love milkshakes and they’re packed with plenty of calcium and protein. Combine 1 cup milk, 2 to 3 scoops of ice cream or frozen yogurt, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of flavored syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy.
9) Spreads Galore Top bagels with cream cheese or cottage cheese, shredded carrots and zucchini, thawed raspberries or strawberries, or chopped dried fruit.
10) Crispy Cheese Treats Create Parmesan crisps by baking individual tablespoons of shredded cheese on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F until the cheese bubbles (about 5 minutes).
(Courtesy of the National Dairy Council ® )
Provided by Heather Bauer, a Registered Dietician (RD) specializing in the interrelation between eating habits, metabolism, and lifestyle. Visit nu-train for more tips and tricks and sign up for her monthly newsletter.
2362 U.S. Hwy 11
Moselle, MS 39459
1-800-844-WDAM (9326) Email Us