HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - Hattiesburg announced its Tree Lighting Ceremony performers and activities Wednesday.
The city will kick off its Christmas season with the lighting ceremony on Thursday, Nov. 20 at Town Square Park and festivities beginning at 6 p.m., according to a press release from the City of Hattiesburg. This year's theme will be "Peace on Earth, goodwill to all."
The cast of the Hattiesburg Civic Light Opera's White Christmas, Mount Olive Baptist Church Choir and Art Makes Art Inc. will perform this year.
Attendees are encouraged to bring a toy to drop off at Santa's sleigh to help assist families in need. Donated toys will be distributed by the Hattiesburg Fire Dept., Hattiesburg Police Dept. and the Oseola McCarthy Youth Development Center.
"In Hattiesburg, we approach the Christmas season with great hope and anticipation, and our annual tree lighting ceremony stands as a moment where we celebrate as a community," Hattiesburg Mayor Toby Barker said. "I hope this year's theme of 'Peace on earth, goodwill to all' moves us to give thanks for that community, treat one another with kindness during this season and live as people who have bold optimism about our city's future."
The agenda includes:
- 6 p.m. – Annual Jaycee’s Christmas Parade, begins at Sacred Heart and will finish at Town Square Park
- 6:20 p.m. – HCLO’s Cast from White Christmas
- 6:50 p.m. – Mount Olive Baptist Church Choir
- 7:15 p.m. – Tree Lighting by Mayor Toby Barker and Mrs. Kate Barker
- 7:25 p.m. – Art Makes Art, Inc. Performance (Creators of Hattiesburlesque)
- 7:55 p.m. – Announcement of Window Decorating Contest Awards
Additional activities include photo opportunities with Santa and Mrs. Claus in Santa's village, smART Space art, and food and beverage vendors. Several downtown Hattiesburg businesses will be open to conclude the night.
For more information, visit www.hattiesburgms.com, facebook.com/CityofHattiesburg or call they Mayor's office at 601-545-4501.