LAUREL, MS (WDAM) - The Laurel School District is one step closer to having a new superintendent.
The Laurel School District Board of Trustees started the public interview process of seven applicants on Thursday.
"We are not only looking for someone who can motivate the staff to move to the next level of excellence, but also move our students to the next level through curriculum, motivation and building their self esteem," said Board of Trustees President Miranda Beard.
It's a transparent interview process open to the public. According to Beard, the board has narrowed down 22 applicants to the final seven.
"It's one of the biggest and most important things that this school board has to decide, and that's finding the next superintendent to take our school district to the next level," Beard said.
Four candidates went through the interview process Thursday and three will go through the same process Friday. The board will then go into executive session and deliberations will begin.
"If we find the candidate, we will issue the contract, talk about it and at some point in December, we are hoping that we can make the announcement," Beard said.
However, the perfect fit for the transitioning school district may not be among the seven. If that's the case, Beard said they will open up the search and start the process from the beginning. But, the are hoping their new leader lies within those existing applicants.
"Thinking outside of the box, coming up with new and innovative ideas that can take us where we are as a D district to our goal, as an A district," Beard said. "We believe and have the faith we can get there, but we need the right team in place and the right individual leading us to get there."
Here's a breakdown of the applicants wanting to be the next superintendent.
- Stephanie Brewer - Mathematics Curriculum Specialist from the Harrison County School District.
- Jeannine Agee - Principal from Laurel High School.
- Kenda Covington - Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Federal Programs from the Laurel School District.
- Dr. Joe Nelson - Principal at Pass Christian Middle School.
- Dr. Donna Ray Hill - Educational Consultant from BRP Associates.
- Dane Aube - Principal at Corinth Academic and Performing Arts.
- Tito Lanier - Principal at Oak Park Elementary School in Laurel.
The remaining three interviews are happening Friday, November 17, and are open to the public. The interviews are taking place at the Laurel School District's Central Office.
The following will be interviewed on Friday:
- Dr. Donna Ray Hill at 11 a.m.
- Dane Aube at 2 p.m.
- Tito Lanier at 3 p.m.