Construction for U.S.-49 pedestrian bridge to begin soon - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Construction for U.S.-49 pedestrian bridge to begin soon

Photo credit: WDAM Photo credit: WDAM
HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) -

A pedestrian bridge that will cross Highway 49 is one step closer to getting underway.

The proposed pre-engineered metal bridge will have a $300,000 price tag, with the city and county splitting 20 percent of the cost at around $42,000 each. MDOT will use federal dollars to cover the remaining 80 percent.

The footbridge will cross U.S. Highway 49 at Country Club Road. Construction should begin soon and be finished by next year.

“I think there is a real public safety need there, and we are proud to be getting a grant to help pay for it and getting it done,” Forrest County Board of Supervisors President David Hogan said. "There is a lot of foot traffic, especially with children coming and going across 49 on Country Club Rd."

Copyright WDAM 2017. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly