JACKSON, MS (WDAM) - Approximately 4,200 Mississippi National Guard soldiers of the 155th Armored Brigade Combat Team will mobilize in support of Operation Spartan Shield based in Kuwait.
According to the Department of Defense, the brigade's mobilization is set for spring of 2018 at Fort Bliss, Texas, with a follow-on deployment for approximately nine months in the Central Command Theater based out of Kuwait.
"The 155th stands ready to deploy for any mission within Mississippi or abroad," said Col. Doug Ferguson, 155th ABCT commander.
The operation is a combined forces contingency designed to deter and react to possible threats in the Middle East region. This will be the unit's third deployment to the Middle East since 2001, and the first using all of its assigned combat platforms.
"The men and women of this brigade train year-round in preparation to defend this great Nation. We've proudly represented Mississippi in past deployments and will continue to do so now," Ferguson said.
The 155th ABCT is headquartered in Tupelo and has battalion headquarters in the following locations:
- 1st Battalion, 155th Infantry Regiment – McComb
- 2d Battalion, 198th Armor Regiment – Senatobia
- 2d Battalion, 137th Infantry Regiment – Kansas City, KS
- 2d Battalion, 114th Field Artillery Regiment – Starkville
- 1st Squadron, 98th Cavalry Regiment – Amory
- 106th Support Battalion – Monticello
- 150th Engineer Battalion – Meridian