HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - Fall temperatures are finally here in South Mississippi. Many will turn on their heaters for the first time in almost a year.
The manager at Lowe's Home Improvement in Hattiesburg gave some tips to keep people safe this season.
"You want to look for any damage from the previous year," said store manager Hawke Lott. "You also want to look for any dust that may have built up over time. Usually when you plug it up for the first time, you have that burning smell. That's common for that stuff to burn off."
People who use space heaters should be careful also. Before plugging it up, inspect the heater.
"You want to look for frayed cords, damaged cords, and dents that could potentially cause you some problems," said Lott.
It's also important to check smoke detectors, and make sure to have batteries just in case it dies.
Lott said space heaters should be checked for dust as well. Space heater users should never plug the heaters to power strips or surge protectors.
"You can have problems with plugging it in to a surge protector," Lott said. "They always tell you to plug it into the wall."