CINCINNATI (FOX19) - The parents of an Ohio man detained in North Korea are pleading with the government to help secure their son's release.
Otto Warmbier, 21, has been in North Korea since Jan. 22, 2016. Warmbier attended the University of Virginia and is from the Wyoming area of Cincinnati.
"President Trump, I ask you: Bring my son home. You can make a difference here," Fred Warmbier said to Fox News' Tucker Carlson last week.
The couple says no one in President Donald Trump's administration has reached out about Otto's 15-year sentence in a North Korean labor prison.
A "lower-level" person is the couple's only contact with the state department, Cindy Warmbier said.
Cindy learned of her son's detainment in a phone call from the state department 24 hours after his arrest, she told Carlson.
Former Secretary of State John Kerry met with the Warmbiers and seemed "exasperated" about the situation, Fred said. When Carlson asked whether Kerry helped the case, Fred answered "absolutely not."
The Warmbiers said the State Department under the Obama Administration provided no to very little reassurances.
"It's your fault. That's the message from them. They acted like we were ignorant basically for letting him go," they said.
The State Department did have one request for the family.
"They asked us to stay quiet because they said its better for everyone involved," they said.
Otto, a 2013 Wyoming High School graduate, is accused of committing "hostile acts" against the country for trying to steal a propaganda banner.