Freak accident kills Covington Co. fireman

Freak accident kills Covington Co. fireman

COVINGTON COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - A Covington County volunteer firefighter died in a freak accident after catching himself on fire at his Seminary home on Tuesday.

According to Covington County Coroner Chris Daquila, the man was identified as James B. Mooney, 67.

Daquila said Mooney was burning limbs and wood chips with gasoline at the home on C.W. Wade Drive, when the wind blew some of the gas back on to him, catching him on fire.

Daquila said Mooney suffered third-degree burns to the lower part of his body, but died from smoke and fire inhalation.

Mooney was a longtime volunteer fireman for the Southeastern Covington County Volunteer Fire Department.