HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - A tornado can cause widespread damage in a short amount of time, as seen on January 21st, but for people who only suffered minor damage, it's still important to have your home inspected.
A home inspector can spot some of the damage that may not be visible to someone not looking for it. Inspector Ben Berteau with home analyzers has a few tips for homeowners.
1.) Check the roof
-Missing or damaged shingles
-Loose flashing along chimneys, dormers and walls
-Roof penetrations such as plumbing and gas vents
-Gutters and down spouts
2.) Inspect electrical service
- Check power lines from the street to service drop.
- Check lights and receptacles in each room, flickering lights could mean loose connections
3.) Inspect plumbing
- With all water fixtures turned off, check the small dose or dial at the water meter. If the meter is turning you could have a hidden leak.
4.) Evaluate the structure
- Look for continuous cracks in bricks or separation in siding and trim
- Cracks from settling most commonly occur above and below doors and windows
- Observe the roof ridge line looking for a level ridge
- Look for cracks in the slab greater than 1/8-inch-wide or with vertical displacement
5.) Survey your yard for large trees or diseased trees that could pose a future treat.