COVINGTON COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - Nearly a dozen people are behind bars after local, state and federal agents served multiple high-risk search warrants today throughout Covington County.
This is all part of a yearlong investigation, that was dubbed "Operation Chariot Race."
"One of our biggest problems here in Covington County is crystal meth," said Covington County Sheriff's Department Investigator Layne McLaurin. "It's very hard to try to control, you're not going to get it all, all you can do it chip away at it, do the best you can."
Covington County authorities were assisted by the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Mississippi Bureau of Investigations, ATF, FBI, HIDTA Task Force, Collins and Magee Police during the county-wide roundup.
"Pretty much everything involved today was sale and possession charges," said McLaurin. "It's just a problem that we know is there and we are chipping away at it."
McLaurin said taking people who are repeat offenders off the streets puts a dent in the business.
"If there's nobody selling the drugs they are harder to get, not going to stop it, it's not going to happen, it's the world we live in, but we are going to do every effort we can to make it harder to get," said McLaurin. "If you sell dope in Covington County, there is already a good chance we know about it and we are looking for you, and if we aren't today, we will be."
According to McLaurin, almost all of the crime like burglaries and property crimes link back to drugs.
"What it does is it effects not only their lives but it trickles down, most of your burglaries in the county, it comes from drug use, it leads to your other crimes throughout the county," said McLaurin.
Three additional suspects are still being sought by the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics and Covington County authorities.
- Jermaine Chaney
- Billy Rice
- Johnny Fairley
If you know where any of these three men are located, contact the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics or Covington County authorities at 601-765-8281.
- Nick Walker- Charged with sale of controlled substance, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of stolen firearm, possession of marijuana.
- Rodney Barnes- Charged with manufacturing of a controlled substance.
- Corey Easterling- Charged with possession of drug paraphernalia
- Sara Shoemaker- Charged with possession of drug paraphernalia
- Nathaniel Easterling- Charged with sale of a controlled substance X2, possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Whitney Thornton- Charged with possession of drug paraphernalia
- Travis Durr- Charged with possession of a controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Darry Graves- Charged with possession of a controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Alyssa Knight- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, wanted by MDOC.