HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - This is a news release from United Blood Services.
United Blood Services is calling on area residents to help Louisiana with blood and platelet needs.
During the recent tragic flooding, mobile blood drives and donor center closures throughout the state have resulted in over 350 lost blood products.
As more mobile blood drives cancel and donor centers remain closed, that number will continue to grow.
"Our hearts and prayers go out everyone in Louisiana," said Mitzi Breaux, Marketing & Communications Manager with United Blood Services, this area's non-profit community blood service provider. "As our neighboring state and home to our sister blood centers, we are happy to help Louisiana in this time of need. If you are able, please consider donating blood this week."
Donors can donate at our donor center in Hattiesburg located at 805 South 28th Avenue. You can also donate at one of the following mobile blood drives:
- Tuesday, August 16 at Forrest General Hospital, classroom in basement from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 17 at Forrest General Hospital, classroom in basement from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, August 18 at Pine Grove Recovery Center, Broadway Drive, from 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Friday, August 19 at Ellisville State School, Hwy 11 in Ellisville, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 20 at St. John National Baptist Church, Expose Rd Columbia from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sunday, August 21 at Moss First Church of God, Hwy 537 in Moss, from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Those who wish to donate may call 877-UBS-HERO (877-827-4376) or click here to make an appointment to give.
All donors receive a "Be the Game Changer" football themed T-shirt and are entered to win a Dream Vacation valued at up to $6000! Donate blood August 15, 16 or 17 at our donor center and receive a free movie ticket through points in our online rewards store.
Blood donation takes about an hour from check-in to refreshments. Donors can save about 20 minutes by completing their Fast Track Health History the day they donate. Click here for that information.
Volunteer blood donors must be at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Additional height/weight requirements apply to donors 22 and younger, and donors who are 16 and 17 must have signed permission from a parent or guardian.