HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - This is a news release from United Blood Services.
Plummeting blood donations since Memorial Day holiday has forced United Blood Services to issue an emergency appeal for all blood types, especially all Rh negative types: A-negative, B-negative, AB-negative and O-negative.
The 4th of July holiday has worsened the severity of low blood inventory levels.
As the community blood provider for this area and stewards of the community blood supply, maintaining an adequate supply of all blood types is imperative.
Reserves of blood are depleted to a less than one day supply on the shelves. Since it takes 24 to 36 hours to test and process each donation before it can be released for a patient, blood is being transfused as fast as United Blood Services can provide it to hospitals.
Donors of all types are urgently needed to give blood now.
To schedule a blood donation online, click here or call United Blood Services at 877-UBS-HERO (877-827-4376).
"Unfortunately, due to high patient usage and fewer donations from the public, we find it necessary to alert the public about the dire need for all blood types, especially the Rh negative types," said Mitzi Breaux, Marketing and Communications Manager, United Blood Services. "If you are eligible to donate, please give now!"
Donors with Rh negative blood types are asked to inquire with a United Blood Services staff member about doubling their impact by donating Double Red Cells.
Appointments are highly recommended.
Knowing how many to expect means we are better able to serve our donors. However, walk-ins are welcome.
Donors can donate at upcoming blood drives in their community:
- Wednesday, July 6- Midway Baptist Church- 4p.m. to 8p.m. in the bloodmobile (77 Midway Church Road, Sumrall, MS)
- Thursday, July 7- Richton Library- 10a.m to 4p.m. - In the Bloodmobile at the Library (210 Front Street, Richton, MS)
- Thursday, July 7- St. Stephens Episcopal Church- 2:30p.m. to 6:30p.m.- In the Parish Hall- (1300 Church Street, Columbia, MS)
- Thursday, July 7- Manheim Mississippi- 8:30a.m. to 1:00p.m.- In the Bloodmobile (7510 Highway 49 North, Hattiesburg, MS)
- Friday, July 8- CSpire- 12:00p.m. to 3:30p.m. In the Bloodmobile (1001 Highway 98 Bypass, Columbia, MS)
- Saturday, July 9- Summer Jam- 9a.m. to 2p.m.- Bloodmobile at Highland Baptist Church (2513 North 7th Avenue, Laurel, MS)