Leaking item identified in Purvis Post Office evacuation
A nailgun leaked aersol gas which caused an evacuation of the Purvis Post Office. Source: WDAM
PURVIS, MS (WDAM) -
A package leaking aerosol gas inside the Purvis Post Office led to the building being evacuated Thursday morning.
"A call came in of a package leaking some type of aerosol gas, we aren't sure what it is, or what type of fumes it's putting off, but it was coming from the box according to the call," said Lamar County Fire Coordinator George Stevens.
Stevens said the package was taken outside of the building.
It was later determined on scene that the item that caused the leak was a nail gun.
There was no damage to the post office, but a few people were transported by family members to a local hospital for treatment for respiratory issues.
The post office should be open to the public in the next few hours.
This is a developing story, we will continue to add additional information as it becomes available.