Suspect in HPD officer shootings case transferred

Suspect in HPD officer shootings case transferred
Abram Wade Franklin. Source: WDAM

HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The case involving Abram Wade Franklin, who was charged in the May 2015 shooting death of two Hattiesburg Police officers, is being moved to another judicial district.

Franklin, 29, was arrested May 15, 2015, and charged with hindering prosecution in the first degree. He was indicted by a Forrest County grand jury on Dec. 18, 2015.

The indictment details the connection of Franklin to the shooting death of officers Benjamin Deen, 34, and Liquori Tate, 25.

"In Forrest County, on or about May 9, 2015, (Franklin) did unlawfully, willfully, feloniously, and with intent to hinder the prosecution of Curtis Banks; Franklin did conceal him from law enforcement officers, by hiding Curtis Banks in his attic, which hindered the discovery, apprehension, and arrest of Curtis Banks."

Franklin's bond was set at $75,000 during his initial appearance at the Forrest County Jail.

Franklin's case file was transferred to the 15th judicial district, to Hal Kittrell's office, when it was discovered after indictment that Franklin's apartment sits in Lamar County.

The apartment complex that Franklin's alleged crime occurred at sits in both Forrest and Lamar Counties due to the county line and the size of the complex.

"We received the file from the 12th district, Patricia Burchell's office, and we have met with the families regarding the charges that we will be seeking," Kittrell said, 15th District, District Attorney. "My office will review the case file in its totality, and we will move forward with charges at that time. Once we have those charges and complete our portion of the file, we will present it to the next available grand jury."

Marvin Banks, who was charged with two counts of capital murder in the shooting deaths, died at the Forrest County Jail on Dec. 11, 2015, from severe heart disease according to the autopsy.

The remaining suspects indicted in Forrest County in the case are expected to be resolved by trial or pleas in the next few months.