PINE BELT (WDAM) - There is potential for flooding in The Pine Belt. Keep these flooding tips from FloodSmart.gov in mind before driving into a potentially dangerous situation.
Here's what you can do to stay safe during a flood:
- If flooding occurs, go to higher ground and avoid areas subject to flooding.
- Do not attempt to walk across flowing streams or drive through flooded roadways.
- If water rises in your home before you evacuate, go to the top floor, attic, or roof.
- Listen to a battery-operated radio for the latest storm information.(or download the WDAM Weather App for Apple or Android device)
- Turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close the main gas valve if advised to do so.
- If you've come in contact with floodwaters, wash your hands with soap and disinfected water.