Two ribbon cutting ceremonies for MDOT projects held in Laurel - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Two ribbon cutting ceremonies for MDOT projects held in Laurel

Two ribbon cutting ceremonies were held in the city of Laurel on Thursday, marking the completion of two major MDOT projects./ WDAM Two ribbon cutting ceremonies were held in the city of Laurel on Thursday, marking the completion of two major MDOT projects./ WDAM
LAUREL, MS (WDAM) -

Two ribbon cutting ceremonies were held in the city of Laurel on Thursday, marking the completion of two major MDOT projects.
 
The first ribbon cutting was held along Grandview Drive, which has been resurfaced and widened from two lanes to three.

A new bridge was added and the curve straightened out to alleviate traffic problems for larger vehicles.

The second ribbon cutting was held at Mason Park, where a new pedestrian bridge has been built.

A second pedestrian bridge was also built at Gardiner Park.
 
Tom King, Southern District Transportation commissioner, said that Grandview Drive was hazardous for larger vehicles and was very much needed.
 
“School buses were having trouble going around the curve, you couldn’t see and it was a dangerous curve,” King said. “They corrected the problems and it’s much safer and that’s what it’s all about, safety is our number one priority at MDOT.”
 
MDOT awarded funding totaling $1.12 million toward the roadway and safety improvement project on Grandview Drive.

Additionally, MDOT awarded funding totaling $300,000 toward the pedestrian bridges.
The money was 80 percent of the total projects funds while the remaining 20 percent was provided for by the city of Laurel.

Copyright 2016 WDAM. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • USM Graduates Receive Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarships

    USM Graduates Receive Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarships

    Thursday, August 17 2017 3:51 AM EDT2017-08-17 07:51:24 GMT
    Photo credit: USMPhoto credit: USM

    University of Southern Mississippi graduates Justin Dyer, Kelly Hill and Lorenzo Spencer have been awarded the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship valued at $30,000 per year for their medical training at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson. 

    More >>

    University of Southern Mississippi graduates Justin Dyer, Kelly Hill and Lorenzo Spencer have been awarded the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship valued at $30,000 per year for their medical training at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson. 

    More >>
  • Kittrell, Wayne Academy looking to gain more attention

    Kittrell, Wayne Academy looking to gain more attention

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 10:44 PM EDT2017-08-17 02:44:25 GMT
    Markus KittrellMarkus Kittrell
    Markus Kittrell is well aware when people speak of Wayne County football, the assumption is the conversation will be of the public school War Eagles. Kitrell and his teammates would like to change that a bit this fall. “When you say Wayne County, everybody knows Wayne County High School, but it’s time for us to put it out there about Wayne Academy, where everybody will know about us,” said Kittrell, a 6-foot-4, 300-pound, two-way lineman for the Jaguars. Wayne Aca...More >>
    Markus Kittrell is well aware when people speak of Wayne County football, the assumption is the conversation will be of the public school War Eagles. Kitrell and his teammates would like to change that a bit this fall. “When you say Wayne County, everybody knows Wayne County High School, but it’s time for us to put it out there about Wayne Academy, where everybody will know about us,” said Kittrell, a 6-foot-4, 300-pound, two-way lineman for the Jaguars. Wayne Aca...More >>
  • PCS, West Marion to square off in season-opening rematch

    PCS, West Marion to square off in season-opening rematch

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 10:01 PM EDT2017-08-17 02:01:27 GMT
    Source: WDAMSource: WDAM
    For a second consecutive football season, West Marion High School and Presbyterian Christian School will square off in the season-opening game for each school. But neither team knows quite what to expect from not only the team across the field but the one arrayed along its own sideline. PCS welcomes West Marion at 7 p.m. Thursday, one of two area prep games set a day before a near full, inaugural slate of high school games. Stringer High School will visit Bay Springs High Schoo...More >>
    For a second consecutive football season, West Marion High School and Presbyterian Christian School will square off in the season-opening game for each school. But neither team knows quite what to expect from not only the team across the field but the one arrayed along its own sideline. PCS welcomes West Marion at 7 p.m. Thursday, one of two area prep games set a day before a near full, inaugural slate of high school games. Stringer High School will visit Bay Springs High Schoo...More >>
Powered by Frankly