HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - This is a press release from the Hattiesburg Public School District.
Labeled the "SUPER 8″ by the national Forensics press, the Hattiesburg HS Varsity claimed another national title by a dominant performance in the largest California invitational at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Forensics tournament hosted by Dr. Tommie Lindsey and James Logan High School in Union City, California. The team qualified record numbers to elimination rounds in a pool of 94 schools representing 12 states. The squad begin the trip by visiting San Francisco where the team toured the Bay on the Powell Street trolley including Pier 39, the famed Fishermen's Wharf, and Chinatown.
Junior Derek Collins advanced to three final rounds before claiming 2nd overall in the tournament triathlon.
HHS won the following awards:
- Derek Collins, 1st place, Humorous Interpretation
- Chrystal Wilson, 1st place, Dramatic Interpretation
- Ben Parker, 3rd place, Dramatic Interpretation
- Derek Collins, 5th place, Dramatic Interpretation
- Bryony Murphy, Semifinalist, Dramatic Interpretation
- Tamara Myles, Quarterfinalist, Dramatic Interpretation
- Zhariah Hubbard, 3rd place, Thematic Interpretation
- Collins/Wilson-3rd place, Duo Interpretation
- Murphy/Parker, Semifinalists, Duo Interpretation
- Ahmarey Stimley/Kerrington Anderson, Semifinalists, Duo Interpretation
- Myles/Hubbard, Quarterfinalists, Duo Interpretation
The team now prepares for the Barkley Forum for High Schools in Atlanta later this month.