SANDERSVILLE, MS (WDAM) - A victim has been identified in a fully involved house fire that happened in Jones County early Saturday morning.
Carl Mixon's body was discovered in the home while firefighters extinguished the blaze, according to a press release from the Jones County Sheriff's Department. Mixon was the owner of the residence.
According to the press release, volunteer fire units from Sandersville and Rustin responded to call at the 100 block of John Sauls Road early Saturday morning.
Upon arrival to the scene, officials said that a person was trapped inside the home, but believed the victim was already dead.
Family members told Jones Co. Fire Investigator Sgt. Scott Gable that Mixon had left their home around midnight and was going to start a fire in the fireplace and then head to bed, according to the press release.
The investigation revealed that logs rolled from the fireplace onto the living room floor, which caused the house to ignite. The investigation also noted the house did not have power connected to it.
The investigation is ongoing.