PETAL, MS (WDAM) - According to Pharmacist Mutual Companies, pharmacy burglary and robbery are two of the fastest growing types of crime in the United States.
Two unknown suspects broke into Rogers Family Pharmacy in Petal Sunday.
Huntsville Police Department in Huntsville, Alabama, arrested a man for breaking into a pharmacy and stealing and ambulance Dec. 7.
Two suspects broke into Discount Drug in Columbia July 2015.
The U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration has a few tips on how to prevent pharmacy robberies and protect customers.
- Install an alarm system and test it often.
- Install security cameras behind the cash register facing the front counter.
- P Inspect cameras regularly to ensure they are functioning.
- P Properly store recorded data.
- Install hold-up/duress buttons.
- Invite local police to conduct a security assessment. Learn the names of the officers who patrol your neighborhood and encourage them to stop by.
- Ensure there is adequate outside lighting and leave some lights on after closing.
- Change locks, alarm codes, and safe combinations when an employee leaves.
- Have at least two employees open and close the store.
- Try to greet customers as they enter your pharmacy. Your attention can discourage a robber.
- Watch for people hanging around and not buying anything.
- Beware of suspicious activity outside your business.
What to Do During a Robbery
- Do not resist! Cooperate fully with the robber.
- Remain calm and avoid sudden movements.
- Do exactly what you are told to do, nothing more and nothing less.
- Make mental notes on aspects of the robber (e.g., clothing, hair length and color, size, build, tattoos, scars, and other body features)
- Do not attempt to apprehend the criminal yourself.