Dangerous Thanksgiving foods for pets - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Dangerous Thanksgiving foods for pets

Dangerous Thanksgiving foods for pets

HATTIESBURG, MS -

Thanksgiving means tons of delicious dishes and treats, but some of these foods should not be given to pets.

With so many leftovers after Thanksgiving, many people plan to feed them to their pets, but health professionals said that is not the best idea.

Dr. John Mayfield, owner of Animal Medical Clinic in Hattiesburg said they see an increase in visits up to three days after Thanksgiving.

“They have taken fatty food and fed them to a dog that’s used to eating dry food or used to eating some table food that’s not fatty,” Mayfield said. “And they develop Gastroenteritis.”

Gastroenteritis is an intestinal infection.

Dr. Mayfield said symptoms can be life threatening for pets and should be examined as soon as possible.

“Vomiting, diarrhea with or without blood, very lethargic, and when you pick them up they can hardly stand for you to touch their stomach” Mayfield said.

Health professionals recommend not feeding pets:

  • Stuffing
  • Meats
  • Bones
  • Mash Potatoes
  • Fruit Salads
  • Chocolate

Feeding pets before Thanksgiving dinner will limit the chances of feeding them scraps.

“If they’re sitting there at the table with that 'What about me look,' you may need to have the treats sitting beside you that they normally have an give them one of those treats so you don’t fall into their trap,” Mayfield said.

The Animal Medical Clinic has a 24 hour emergency care

Click here for more information on foods to keep away from pets. 

Copyright 2015 WDAM. Call rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly