BALTIMORE, MD - This is a news release from Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc.
The annual competition to select the top college quarterback in the nation has been narrowed from an original field of 30 to five finalists for The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award®.
Named after the man many refer to as the greatest quarterback ever to play the game of football, the prestigious Golden Arm Award is presented annually by the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. and Transamerica.
The five finalists for 2015 Golden Arm Award are:
- Trevone Boykin (TCU)- After 9 weeks of play, Boykin has completed 198 of 297 passes for 2,927 yards (67% completion rate) throwing for 28 touchdowns with just 5 interceptions, and a QB rating of 177.2
- Connor Cook (Michigan State)- After 9 weeks of play, Cook has completed 145 of 253 passes for 2,060 yards (57% completion rate) throwing for 17 touchdowns with just 2 interceptions and a QB rating of 146.5
- Cody Kessler (USC)- After 9 weeks of play, Kessler has completed 174 of 247 passes for 2,268 yards (70% completion rate) throwing for 18 touchdowns with just 5 interceptions, and a QB rating of 167.6
- Paxton Lynch (Memphis)- After 9 weeks of play, Lynch has completed 200 of 285 passes for 2,709 yards (70% completion rate) throwing for 18 touchdowns with just 1 interception, and a QB rating of 170.2
- Dak Prescott (Mississippi State)- After 9 weeks of play, Prescott has completed 173 of 260 passes for 2,048 yards (67% completion rate) throwing for 14 touchdowns with just 1 interception, and a QB rating of 149.7
Candidates for the Golden Arm Award – which has been presented at the end of each college football season since 1987 – must be college seniors or fourth-year juniors on schedule to graduate with their class. In addition to the accomplishments on the field, candidates are judged on their character, citizenship, scholastic achievement, and leadership qualities.
This season, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. has again teamed with longtime partner Transamerica, as well as 120 Sports, a first-of-its-kind live-streaming digital sports video programming network, in promoting this prestigious honor. Transamerica, the presenting sponsor of this award, is proud once again to honor the tremendous legacy of Johnny Unitas® and salute a new generation of outstanding student athletes. In addition to recognizing great accomplishments on the field, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award® considers character, citizenship, integrity, leadership and honor all characteristics that are highly valued by Transamerica®.
For over a century, Transamerica has been helping people prepare a better financial future as a leading provider of solutions for insurance investments and retirement. Creating a better tomorrow comes from hard work, discipline and commitment to a solid plan. Transamerica salutes these outstanding young men. These strong leaders have demonstrated a commitment to excellence and worked hard to "Transform Tomorrow" for themselves and their teams during the season.
The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award® will be presented at a ceremony on December 11, 2015 in Baltimore, Maryland. For the 2015 Golden Arm Award ceremony, The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. and Transamerica are happy to be returning to the Embassy Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor Hotel & The Grand.
MLB Hall of Famer and board member Brooks Robinson will be in attendance and NFL Hall of Famer, former Baltimore Colt, and the great Johnny Unitas' favorite target – Raymond Berry – will deliver the keynote remarks at this year's Golden Arm Award ceremony.