HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - Local law enforcement agencies are getting ready for a busy weekend in the Pine Belt, and they are offering some simple tips for parents, children and drivers to make sure everyone has a safe Halloween night.
The Laurel Police Department released a list of nine safety tips.
1. Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
2. Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross.
3. Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don't run, across the street.
4. Children should have a flashlight or glow stick to make them more visible.
5. Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
6. Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
7. Small children should be accompanied by an adult. Adults should not attempt to supervise more children than they can handle.
8. Children should only accept commercially packed candy items. Parents should inspect all items before consumption.
9. Wear bright costumes or have reflective tape added.
LPD officials said drivers should slow down and be extra cautious in residential neighborhoods.