UPDATE: Fire officials determine cause of fire at Lamar Co. home

UPDATE: Fire officials determine cause of fire at Lamar Co. home
Flames erupt from a home on Sweetwater Lane

LAMAR COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - Fire officials have determined the cause of a fire that destroyed a Lamar County home on Saturday.

The fire broke out just after 2 p.m. in the Madison Place subdivision located off West 4th Street at 300 Sweetwater Lane.

Investigators said the fire started with a propane grill on the back porch. The homeowner went inside, and when he came back, the porch was on fire. Officials said that is where the worst damage was. No one was injured.

Firefighters from around the county responded to the fire that was brought under control in just under an hour.

One unit was destroyed, and two others that joined the home received smoke damage.

Officials on scene also commented that the fire was able to spread due to the lack of fire-walls in the structure.

According to fire officials, crews remained on scene to extinguish hot spots for an extended period of time Saturday just as a precaution and flare-ups.