Mississippi hardball fans will help decide who will be the next - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Mississippi hardball fans will help decide who will be the next C Spire Ferriss Trophy winner honoring the state's top college baseball player

JACKSON, MS (WDAM) -

This is a news release from C Spire  

For only the second time in the award's history, Mississippi hardball fans will have the opportunity to take part in the voting for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, which annually honors the Magnolia state's top college baseball player.

C Spire, along with the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum (MSHOF), announced today that fan voting will count for 10 percent of the 2015 Ferriss Trophy award.  A 24-member panel of the state's college baseball coaches and Major League baseball scouts whose territory includes Mississippi will comprise the remaining 90 percent of the voting.

"This gives fans a chance to help recognize our state's top college baseball players," said Rick Cleveland, executive director of the MSHOF and co-sponsor of the award along with C Spire.  "Major League Baseball lets fans choose infielders and outfielders for the All-Star game.  Giving our fans, who are some of the most passionate in sports, the chance to have a voice will generate even more interest in an award that has become synonymous with Mississippi college baseball tradition."

Copyright WDAM 2015. All rights reserved. 

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Smoking hits new low; about 14 percent of US adults light up

    Smoking hits new low; about 14 percent of US adults light up

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:10 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:10:52 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 5:04 PM EDT2018-06-20 21:04:39 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File). FILE - In this June 22, 2012, file photo, a smoker snuffs out a cigarette at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif. The rate of smoking among adults in the U.S. fell to about 14 percent in 2017, according to new data relea...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File). FILE - In this June 22, 2012, file photo, a smoker snuffs out a cigarette at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif. The rate of smoking among adults in the U.S. fell to about 14 percent in 2017, according to new data relea...
    Smoking by US adults hits another all-time low; about 14 percent smoke cigarettes.More >>
    Smoking by US adults hits another all-time low; about 14 percent smoke cigarettes.More >>
  • Lower costs, fewer benefits in new health insurance option

    Lower costs, fewer benefits in new health insurance option

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 12:10 AM EDT2018-06-19 04:10:52 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 5:04 PM EDT2018-06-20 21:04:38 GMT
    As originally proposed, the new "association health plans" would have to cover people with pre-existing health conditions. However, they could offer narrower benefits than required under the Obama-era health law. (Source: Raycom Media)As originally proposed, the new "association health plans" would have to cover people with pre-existing health conditions. However, they could offer narrower benefits than required under the Obama-era health law. (Source: Raycom Media)

    Trump administration prepares to announce a new insurance option for small firms and self-employed people.

    More >>

    Trump administration prepares to announce a new insurance option for small firms and self-employed people.

    More >>
  • Compulsive video-game playing could be mental health problem

    Compulsive video-game playing could be mental health problem

    Monday, June 18 2018 5:20 AM EDT2018-06-18 09:20:00 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 5:04 PM EDT2018-06-20 21:04:20 GMT
    In its latest revision to an international disease classification manual, the U.N. health agency said Monday that classifying "Gaming Disorder" as a separate condition will 'serve a public health purpose for countries.' (Source: Pixabay)In its latest revision to an international disease classification manual, the U.N. health agency said Monday that classifying "Gaming Disorder" as a separate condition will 'serve a public health purpose for countries.' (Source: Pixabay)

    The World Health Organization says that compulsively playing video games now qualifies as a new mental health condition, in a move that some critics warn may risk stigmatizing its young players.

    More >>

    The World Health Organization says that compulsively playing video games now qualifies as a new mental health condition, in a move that some critics warn may risk stigmatizing its young players.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly