James McMahon Named Finalist for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

James McMahon Named Finalist for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy

 News release from Southern Miss Athletics

HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Southern Miss senior right-handed pitcher James McMahon (Hattiesburg, Miss.) has been named a finalist for the 2015 C Spire Ferriss Trophy. The Ferriss Trophy, named for Mississippi baseball legend Boo Ferriss, is awarded annually to the most outstanding college baseball player in Mississippi.

McMahon improved to 10-1 on the season with a 1.73 ERA in 13 starts in 2015 after registering a 9-0 victory Sunday over Charlotte. The converted reliever ran his current scoreless inning streak to 14 2/3 innings as he allowed just one hit to Charlotte over six innings – a two-out single in the sixth. He also had a 23 2/3 scoreless streak earlier during the year, and has been named C-USA's Pitcher of the Week twice and earned the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association weekly honor for top pitcher once.

He is the first Golden Eagle to reach double-digit victories since 2011 and becomes the 10th pitcher, and 11th time overall, that a Southern Miss individual has reached at least 10 victories in a season.

The other four finalists include one pitcher, two position players and one that does both and includes senior Wes Rea (1B/DH) of Mississippi State, senior Melvin Rodriguez (INF) of Jackson State, senior Keith Shumaker (INF/RHP) of Millsaps and senior Scott Weathersby (RHP) of Ole Miss.

Professional scouts and college coaches chose the five finalists and also will vote again this week from among the five. The coaches/scouts voting will comprise 90 percent of the final vote. Fan voting, conducted by C Spire, will account for the other 10 percent of the voting. Fan voting will begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday and conclude at Sunday at noon. Voting will be done at www.csopavoting.com.

The C Spire Ferriss Trophy will be presented at a luncheon on Monday, May 18, at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. Call (601) 982-8264 for tickets or purchase online at msfame.com.
Powered by Frankly