U.S. Marshals capture quadruple murder suspect

U.S. Marshals capture quadruple murder suspect
Alexander Rosevelt Hill Jr.

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WDAM) - This is a release from the U.S. Marshals Office of Public Affairs:

The U.S. Marshals captured Alexander Rosevelt Hill, Jr., wanted on four counts of first-degree murder, at a homeless shelter in Buffalo, New York, on Thursday. The slayings occurred over the weekend of Easter 2014, but the trail for the suspect had been cold for a year.

At the one-year anniversary of the tragic death of four Virginia family members, including a toddler, the U.S. Marshals asked for the media's help across the country to publicize the search for this dangerous fugitive. A tip came in that Hill was at a homeless shelter in Buffalo, New York.

The U.S. Marshals in Buffalo went to the shelter and arrested Hill without incident. Hill was going by the name Trent Dales and had false identification. Hill resisted being fingerprinted, but once Marshals were able to get his fingerprints, they positively identified him as the man being sought.

During the weekend of Easter 2014, Hill, 48, is accused of killing two family members by assault and then setting the house on fire, killing two others, including a 2-year-old, in Petersburg, Virginia.

Those killed were Pauline Wilkins, 67, Vicki Chavis-Ansar, 46, Tanique Chavis, 22, and Delvair Chavis, 2. A former girlfriend of Hill's lived in the home but was not there at the time of the slayings.

Hill fled the Petersburg area shortly after the killings. U.S. Marshals and Petersburg Police detectives had determined that Hill traveled to Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, by taxi just after midnight on April 20, 2014. Later that morning, Hill paid a man to drive him to the Amtrak station in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Until now, Hill had fallen off law enforcement's radar.

The Marshals believed he could have been anywhere, but information pointed to Virginia, North Carolina, Mississippi, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Maryland, California and New York City.

"We are relieved at the capture of this dangerous fugitive close on the heels of the one-year anniversary of four tragic deaths. We weren't giving up, no matter what," said Robert Mathieson, U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of Virginia. "We hope this arrest will allow the family to begin healing from the pain of their tremendous losses."

"I would like to thank the tipster who called into the Buffalo U.S. Marshals office with information regarding Hill's location at St. Luke's Mission. My deputies were fast to act and apprehend this suspect quickly and without incident. They did an outstanding job today. Thanks to the tipster, another dangerous fugitive is behind bars," said Charles Salina, U.S. Marshal for the Western District of New York.

The U.S. Marshals partnered with the Petersburg Bureau of Police for the fugitive investigation, and the FBI also assisted with the case.