HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) is offering free tax filing services throughout Forrest and Lamar Counties.
AARP Tax Aide services are set up for retirees and those with low to mid-income, including students. The free service includes preparing the tax return and electronically filing it.
"All of our preparers are certified by IRS (Internal Revenue Service)," said Larry Grant. "Everyone is required to take an exam each year, and we just finished that two weeks ago."
In order to get a return filed, individuals must bring the following items:
- W-2, or Social Security or pension statement if retired
- Bank account and routing numbers
- Photo ID
- Social security number, including SSN of any dependents
- last year's return, if applicable
The AARP Tax Aide sites will be set up through April 15 at the following locations:
- Sigler Center, Hattiesburg
- C.E. Roy Community Center, Hattiesburg
- Harvey Baptist Church, Petal
- Purvis Library
- Lumberton Library