Space Heater Safety Tips - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Space Heater Safety Tips

Taylorsville, MS (WDAM) -

This is a news release from Southern Pine Electric Power Association

As temperatures drop this winter, many will look for supplemental heating sources for their homes. Space heaters can be a good alternative for those who want to warm one area of their home without turning up the thermostat on the central heating system. However, space heaters are also responsible for 32 percent of house fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Here are some tips from Southern Pine Electric Power Association to keep you and your family safe when using space heaters:

Materials – What are the components of your space heater made of? Parts like metal grating can be hot to the touch and may burn anyone who gets too close. Make sure you purchase a heater that is cool to the touch and has guards over the coils just in case little fingers get too close.

Placement - While it can be tempting to place a small heater on a shelf so it is not in the way of pets and children, it is safest to leave the heater on a level floor on a nonflammable surface. Keeping the space heater on the floor can keep it from falling over, preventing fire hazards. Also, remember that space heaters and bathrooms are not a good combination, unless the heater is designed for bathroom use. Moisture can damage the heater.

The most important rule about space heater placement is the three-foot rule. Whether you are using the heater in the bedroom, living room or kitchen, space heaters should always be kept at least three feet away from flammable materials and out of the way of children and pets.

Special Features – Does your space heater have an auto shutoff function if tipped over? Auto shutoff can be a lifesaver. If you currently own a space heater without auto shutoff, consider purchasing a heater with this important safety feature.

Cords – You should never use an extension cord when plugging in a space heater as it can cause overheating. The space heater should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, and should be the only thing plugged in to the wall outlet. Also make sure cords aren't in a high-traffic area so they are not a tripping hazard.

Use – Never leave a heater unattended while in use. If you are leaving your home or going to bed, make sure to unplug the heater

Copyright 2014 WDAM. All rights reserve.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Local Pine Belt students named Lindy Callahan Scholar-Athletes

    Local Pine Belt students named Lindy Callahan Scholar-Athletes

    Local Pine Belt students named Lindy Callahan Scholar-Athletes

    Monday, April 23 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-23 04:04:05 GMT
    WDAMWDAM
    WDAMWDAM

    16 top seniors across Mississippi are making strides, going home with a prestigious award. WDAM was able to speak with one of this years Lindy Callahan Scholar-Athlete award winners from Laurel High School. Todd Breland said, "I think it's awesome. The way Kimberton, not only his contributions to the athletic portion at Laurel High School, but the way he conducts himself at school everyday. He's always in a good mood. He's tremendous in the classroom. He's just an outstanding yo...

    More >>

    16 top seniors across Mississippi are making strides, going home with a prestigious award. WDAM was able to speak with one of this years Lindy Callahan Scholar-Athlete award winners from Laurel High School. Todd Breland said, "I think it's awesome. The way Kimberton, not only his contributions to the athletic portion at Laurel High School, but the way he conducts himself at school everyday. He's always in a good mood. He's tremendous in the classroom. He's just an outstanding yo...

    More >>
  • Local church delays Nicaragua mission trip for safety

    Local church delays Nicaragua mission trip for safety

    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:23 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:23:50 GMT
    source: wdamsource: wdam
    source: wdamsource: wdam

    The Carterville Baptist Church delayed their mission trip to Nicaragua after receiving an urgent phone call that the destination was no longer safe due to an unrest in the country. Pastor of Carterville Baptist Church and mission team lead Ben Skipper says the call came while members were waiting in line at the airport to receive their plane tickets.  

    More >>

    The Carterville Baptist Church delayed their mission trip to Nicaragua after receiving an urgent phone call that the destination was no longer safe due to an unrest in the country. Pastor of Carterville Baptist Church and mission team lead Ben Skipper says the call came while members were waiting in line at the airport to receive their plane tickets.  

    More >>
  • Police: 3 charged in shooting at Petal apartment

    Police: 3 charged in shooting at Petal apartment

    Sunday, April 22 2018 10:49 PM EDT2018-04-23 02:49:29 GMT
    Raul Tlaxcala, 18, charged with Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; (Photo Source: Petal Police jail docket)Raul Tlaxcala, 18, charged with Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; (Photo Source: Petal Police jail docket)

    Petal police are investigating a shooting that occurred Saturday night. According the authorities, the shooting happened around 8 o'clock at an apartment complex.  Detectives tell us the incident involved a man and three brothers. Detectives believe the shooting stemmed in a dispute involving a female. The fourth man involved, the victim, was shot once and was taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The victim has since ...

    More >>

    Petal police are investigating a shooting that occurred Saturday night. According the authorities, the shooting happened around 8 o'clock at an apartment complex.  Detectives tell us the incident involved a man and three brothers. Detectives believe the shooting stemmed in a dispute involving a female. The fourth man involved, the victim, was shot once and was taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The victim has since ...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly