A century after the dedication of Laurel City Hall in November 21, 1914, mayor Johnny Magee, along with residents and community leaders celebrated the unveiling of a historical marker.
A time capsule was also buried beneath the marker as a way of celebrating the past and also current Laurel events. Inside the sealed capsule are letters, photographs, and newspaper articles from the centennial activities.
Laurel City Hall once housed all of Laurel's city officials, including the police and fire departments. It was listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1987 and designated as a Mississippi Landmark in 1993.