Fire damages mobile home in Powers community

Fire damages mobile home in Powers community

JONES COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - This is a news release from the Jones County Fire Council

A mobile home was heavily damaged by fire and smoke in the Powers community of Jones County Thursday morning, November 20.

Volunteer fire units from Powers, M&M, and Glade were dispatched at 6:25 a.m. to the report of a mobile home fire on Brown Drive. Powers Engine 1 was the first unit to arrive on scene, and reported heavy smoke emanating from the mobile home. An entry team entered the mobile home and discovered a fire in the kitchen area of the home extending into the cabinets and ceiling above. Firefighters quickly suppressed the flames, and conducted a search of the residence for any victims – none were found.

"It was just approaching the flashover point, when we arrived," exclaimed Powers firefighter Lance Chancellor. "The fire appeared to have started on the stove, and spread to the wooden cabinets above the stove area."

The owner of the home was reported to be out of town at the time of the fire. A friend, who was living in the home, was not home when firefighters arrived.

Fire damage in the kitchen area was deemed extreme, with smoke damage throughout the mobile home. Fire units were on the scene until 7:30 a.m. conducting fire suppression and overhaul operations.

Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna, Jones County Sheriff's Office, EMServ Ambulance Service, and Dixie Electric Power Association responded to the incident.

Photos submitted by Lance Chancellor, Powers VFD

Powers Brown Dr 11-20-14 stove photo 3

A melted pot was found on top of stove.

Powers Brown Dr 11-20-14 mic n james photo 1

Powers firefighters Mic Johnston, left, and James Garick, right, check for hot spots, and douse a stove vent.

Powers Brown Dr 11-20-14 kitchen photo 2

Kitchen area of mobile home showing extreme fire damage