House fire Hero: Neighbor saves family from burning home in Lama - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

House fire Hero: Neighbor saves family from burning home in Lamar County

LAMAR COUNTY, MS (WDAM) -

A Lamar County home caught fire early Sunday morning with three adults and one child sound asleep inside. The family escaped their burning home without injury, but without a neighbor's help this might have not been the case.

“The important thing is that we were able to get out alive and we owe a special thanks to our neighbor, Tommy Bridges,” said home owner, Bill Odom.

Bridges woke up to unusual sounds and extra light coming through his bedroom window. He checked and saw flames coming through the roof of Odom's home. While his wife called 911, Bridges rushed next door, kicked in the front door, and started yelling to wake the family up.

“We don't have a scratch on our bodies, we are just thankful to God for everything he has done for us. I mean, even though all he did was kick down the door and got us out. That is all we needed,” said Allee Barefield, resident.

Odom said that investigators suspect that it was an extra refrigerator that shorted out that sparked the fire. With everyone safe and sound the family said they have nothing but thanks to give.

“These neighbors will always be more than just neighbors, I know that. They'll be very, very special people,” said Odom.

Powered by Frankly