Cause of death for 9-year-old PA boy still undetermined; parents - WDAM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Cause of death for 9-year-old PA boy still undetermined; parents not charged

Posted: Updated:
Authorities are still investigating the death of a 9-year-old Pennsylvania boy, found dead in his home. (Source: WHP/CNN) Authorities are still investigating the death of a 9-year-old Pennsylvania boy, found dead in his home. (Source: WHP/CNN)

HARRISBURG, PA (WHP/CNN) -The cause of death still is not known after an autopsy was performed on a 9-year-old boy who was found in his home dead last week.

The coroner has now called for further testing.

It could be weeks before we know what exactly caused the death of Jarrod Tutko, Jr. As further tests are happening, multiple reviews will also take place inside and outside of Children and Youth Services to find out exactly what went wrong.

On Friday night, on the third floor of his family’s home, police found 9-year-old Jarrod Tutko, Jr., dead and lying on a floor which was covered in his own feces.

Police say the boy died four days prior, but his father, Jarrod Tutko, Sr., didn’t tell anyone and the boy’s mother said she didn’t know, even though by Thursday she could smell something rotting.

As of Tuesday, no one is being charged with the boy's death. The charges against his father, are for what police say he did following the death. The boy's mother still has not been charged.

“What I can say is that clearly something occurred within this family system that allowed this to happen,” Kristen Johnson of Children and Youth Services said.

Johnson would not give details about this family. She wouldn't even tell us if they worked with the family.

But Kimberly Tutko, the boy's mother, has told the media that CYS was at the family's house as early as late last year. A few months later, a child is dead.

When asked if the system failed the child, Johnson would not definitively answer.

“That is not something that I'm willing to say. We have not completed a review process. We have not been to assess what occurred in this particular case,” Johnson said.

The couple's five other children have been removed from the home.

Copyright 2014 WHP via CNN. All rights reserved.