Bryant calls special session for storm damage victims - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Bryant calls special session for storm damage victims

JONES COUNTY, MS (WDAM) -

Governor Phil Bryant is calling lawmakers back to Jackson Thursday to provide MEMA with access to 20 million dollars for disaster response and recovery costs.  This comes on the heels of Jones County being added to the government's individual assistance program.

Officials said the initial estimates from last week's tornadoes could exceed 13 million dollars.  MEMA officials said the state is responsible for 20 million dollars in costs for work that is still to be completed on 13 other disasters.  

In the case of disasters, the federal government covers 75% of the costs while state and local governments share the other 25%.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Wisconsin family proves it's always a good time to give back

    Wisconsin family proves it's always a good time to give back

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 7:24 PM EDT2018-07-17 23:24:53 GMT
    They are helping R3SM finish a brand new home on Lilac Street in Hattiesburg for a family who lost everything in last year's tornado. (Photo source: WDAM)They are helping R3SM finish a brand new home on Lilac Street in Hattiesburg for a family who lost everything in last year's tornado. (Photo source: WDAM)
    They are helping R3SM finish a brand new home on Lilac Street in Hattiesburg for a family who lost everything in last year's tornado. (Photo source: WDAM)They are helping R3SM finish a brand new home on Lilac Street in Hattiesburg for a family who lost everything in last year's tornado. (Photo source: WDAM)

    The Gartmans' are a family of five from Wisconsin.

    More >>

    The Gartmans' are a family of five from Wisconsin.

    More >>
  • Hub City attorney sentenced for filing false tax return

    Hub City attorney sentenced for filing false tax return

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 7:08 PM EDT2018-07-17 23:08:52 GMT
    Longtime Hattiesburg attorney John Lee Jr. was sentenced Tuesday to six months in jail and a year of probation. (Photo source: Raycom News Network)Longtime Hattiesburg attorney John Lee Jr. was sentenced Tuesday to six months in jail and a year of probation. (Photo source: Raycom News Network)
    A South Mississippi grand jury indicted four Pine Belt residents for their alleged roles in a multi-million dollar scheme. (Photo source: Raycom News Network)A South Mississippi grand jury indicted four Pine Belt residents for their alleged roles in a multi-million dollar scheme. (Photo source: Raycom News Network)

    Longtime Hattiesburg attorney John Lee Jr. was sentenced Tuesday to six months in jail and a year of probation for filing a false statement on an income tax return.

    More >>

    Longtime Hattiesburg attorney John Lee Jr. was sentenced Tuesday to six months in jail and a year of probation for filing a false statement on an income tax return.

    More >>
  • Miss Hospitality contestants visit Forrest General Hospital

    Miss Hospitality contestants visit Forrest General Hospital

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 7:02 PM EDT2018-07-17 23:02:23 GMT
    Miss Hospitality contestants after they arrive at Forrest General. (Photo source: Forrest General)Miss Hospitality contestants after they arrive at Forrest General. (Photo source: Forrest General)

    Young women competing in the 2018 Mississippi Hospitality pageant visited Forrest General Hospital on Tuesday.  The contestants were welcomed by Breanne Gaubert, assistant director of Forrest General Marketing and Communications. Representative Missy McGee of House District 102 gave an encouraging presentation to the group of 32.  “I was chosen by the people of my city to represent them, and so were you," McGee said. "You were chosen to represent your ...

    More >>

    Young women competing in the 2018 Mississippi Hospitality pageant visited Forrest General Hospital on Tuesday.  The contestants were welcomed by Breanne Gaubert, assistant director of Forrest General Marketing and Communications. Representative Missy McGee of House District 102 gave an encouraging presentation to the group of 32.  “I was chosen by the people of my city to represent them, and so were you," McGee said. "You were chosen to represent your ...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly